Monday, March 4, 2024

OUTSTANDING ORIGINAL SONG


"Dance the Night", Barbie (Music and Lyrics by Mark Ronson, Andrew Wyatt, Dua Lipa and Caroline Ailin)
"I'm Just Ken”, Barbie (Music and Lyrics by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt)
"What Was I Made For?”, Barbie (Music and Lyrics by Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell)
“For the First Time”, The Little Mermaid (Music by Alan Menken, Lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda)
“Camp Isn't Home”, Theater Camp (Music and Lyrics by Ben Platt, Noah Galvin, Molly Gordon, Nick Lieberman & Mark Sonnenblick)

AND THE WINNER:


"WHAT WAS I MADE FOR?", BARBIE (MUSIC AND LYRICS BY BILLIE ELLISH AND FINNEAS O'CONNELL)

These are the first wins and third straight nomination for the writing team (siblings) of Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell. They were previously nominated for writing music for No Time to Die (2021) and Turning Red (2022).

It felt right that my original song award was gonna go to a song from Barbie it just really depended how I was feeling in the moment because there were so many great songs to choose from the great film. Unlike the Academy Awards I have not awarded an original song trophy to Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell as I only nominated them the year their Bond song won.

With "What Was I Made For?" the duo wrote a song so full of feeling and so integral to the narrative of Barbie that I felt like I knew every note of the song prior to it actually having words sung. The music was used at very important emotional beats throughout the film and this made the musical beats so impactful and standout. I loved this original song and hope it claims many awards as it is that standout a musical number and why the original song category exists. To award music that is great but also integral to the film as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment