Sunday, February 18, 2024

OUTSTANDING FEMALE ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE


Sakura Andō as Saori Mugino in "MONSTER"
America Ferrera as Gloria in “BARBIE”
Rachel McAdams as Barbara Simon in “ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT’S ME MARGARET.”
Cara Jade Myers as Anna Brown in “KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON”
Rosamund Pike as Lady Elspeth Catton in “SALTBURN”

AND THE WINNER:


AMERICA FERRERA AS GLORIA IN "BARBIE"

This is the first win and nomination for America Ferrera. She wins for her performance as Gloria in Barbie. Ferrera was previously nominated for breakthrough/debut for her work in Real Women Have Curves (2002).

This year was full of so many great supporting actress performances which has lead me to look at many choices to nail down who would make my top five but also who would end up being my top choice of the year. I can't say when I first watched Barbie in July that I thought America Ferrera would be my winning supporting actress choice but with all the films I've seen and all these months later I've not been able to stop thinking about her brilliant work.

Ferrera plays Gloria the real world mother at the centre of Barbie who is responsible for basically all of the films events by playing honestly with the Stereotypical Barbie that Robbie plays in the film. Ferrera is so charming in this role with many relatable moments throughout which work as a great build up to her major moment which is the Woman speech which has become so famous since the films initial release. The monologue isn't easy to deliver and Ferrera performs it so naturally and honestly that it made the scene stand out so much and surely be one of the most memorable acting moments from this past year.

Gerwig is just such a brilliant actors director and I'm so happy to award Ferrera here with her being the first Gerwig directed performance that I've actually given a top prize to.

No comments:

Post a Comment