Tuesday, February 27, 2018

OUTSTANDING DIRECTOR

Sofia Coppola for The Beguiled
Greta Gerwig for Lady Bird
Luca Guadagnino for Call Me By Your Name
Christopher Nolan for Dunkirk
Dee Rees for Mudbound

AND THE WINNER IS:


GRETA GERWIG FOR LADY BIRD

This is the second win and fourth nomination for Greta Gerwig, She has already won screenplay for Lady Bird (2017). She was nominated for writing and acting in the ensemble of Frances Ha (2013).

Many who've critized Lady Bird say that Gerwig's direction is nothing special. I personally don't get the criticisims because when I think of great direction I think of the entire product. Lady Bird has beautiful shot compositions, an expert ensemble of actors, a perfect screenplay and so many other great elements. Sure this film doesn't an entire sequence filmed in one shot or a man sleeping in a animal skeleton but it does feature a cast of character that I care about. Ensemble direction is what I consider to be one of the most difficult tasks for any director because most films contain great leading performances but far fewer feature large ensembles of characters whose names or faces I really remember. Gerwig with her solo feature film debut has made a name for herself and I look forward to what she does next whether that be acting or other.

No comments:

Post a Comment