Wednesday, February 14, 2018

OUTSTANDING FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

After the Storm (Directed Horokazu Koreeda)
The Death of Louis XIV (Directed Albert Serra)
Graduation (Directed Cristian Mungiu)
The Lure (Directed Agnieszka Smoczyńska)
The Salesman (Directed Asghar Farhadi)

AND THE WINNER IS:


THE LURE (DIRECTED BY AGNIESZKA SMOCZYNSKA)

This is the first win and nomination for Agnieszka Smoczyńska.

A polish language musical is a film I didn't know I need in my life. I was mistaken and in fact, this crazy and unique film turned into one of my faves from the entire year. The original music was incredible, the risky plot and odd tone was also something else I appreciated because I knew whenever I was watching any of this film that I was witnessing a creative team entirely in control of the story they wanted to tell. I also appreciated the fact that this was an original musical even though it was a reworking of a classic fable it was still something odd and European that no American studio would ever finance for its newness and oddness.

No comments:

Post a Comment