Wednesday, January 29, 2020

OUTSTANDING PERFORMER OF THE YEAR

Laura Dern (Cold Pursuit, J.T. Leroy, Little Women, Marriage Story, Trial by Fire)
Adam Driver (The Dead Don't Die, Marriage Story, The Report, Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker)
Scarlett Johansson (Avengers: Endgame, Jojo Rabbit, Marriage Story)
Elisabeth Moss (Her Smell, The Kitchen, Light of My Life, Us)
Florence Pugh (Fighting With My Family, Little Women, Midsommar)

AND THE WINNER IS:


FLORENCE PUGH (FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY, LITTLE WOMEN, MIDSOMMAR)

When I awarded Florence with my breakout award two years ago for her turn in Lady Macbeth how was I to know that she'd dominate a film year in the way she did 2019. It began with Fighting with My Family where she played real life female wrestler Paige from her humble beginnings to major breakout. I found Florence wonderful in it and while it's the most underseen of her film she's just as great in it as her other two films. Next came Midsommar in the middle of the year with another great turn by Pugh. I myself did not react overly positive to that film however nothing about my negative leaning reaction was in relation to Pugh. She held a lot of the moments I could stand the film together. The final note to her great 2019 was Little Women in which she completly redeemed Amy March in the eyes of so many. Florence was firing on all cylinders similar to her breakout in Lady Macbeth with Little Women and the greatest joy is she has received her first oscar nomination for her performance as Amy. The next decade I'm sure holds great wonders for Pugh and I cannot wait to watch it all.

P.S. If you've not seen Lady Macbeth or The Little Drummer Girl do watch as they are other work by her prior to this past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment