Thursday, March 2, 2023

OUTSTANDING ORIGINAL SCORE


Carter Burwell for The Banshees of Inisherin
Jo Yeong-wook for Decision to Leave
Alexandre Desplat for Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
Terence Blanchard for The Woman King
Hildur Guðnadóttir for Women Talking

AND THE WINNER:


HILDUR GUÐNADÓTTIR FOR WOMEN TALKING

This is the first win and nomination for Hildur Guðnadóttir.

I will start this by saying three years ago when awards voters became obsessed with Hildur Guðnadóttirs score for Joker i didn't really get the appeal of it other than simply liking the score but not thinking it was the best of the year. I am so happy to say that based on her film work which has followed in 2022 I am now in the boat of considering her one of the best composers currently working. It's worth mentioning her contributions to TÁR firstly as there was some great musical work there. Now that I've said that on to her Women Talking work which like everything in that film is some incredible work.

The way her score is used throughout is so effective and adds to this incredible film. The music really added to the setting of the film between the dialogue heavy scenes as we got to see in an almost montage like style many shots of the community that lived in the films commune. As the film approached its ending and the score swelled more I was already sold on the incredible work from before and it was so well included that I simply adored the work. I was sad not to see Hildur Guðnadóttir not awarded with a score nomination this year given her previous success with that category but even so I'm glad say I love her work and am happy to award her compositions by original score award.

No comments:

Post a Comment