Sunday, February 19, 2023

OUTSTANDING CINEMATOGRAPHY


Gregory Ole for Aftersun
Kim Ji-yong for Decision to Leave
Crystal Fournier for Great Freedom
Florian Hoffmeister for Tár
Ari Wegner for The Wonder

AND THE WINNER:


GREGORY OLE FOR AFTERSUN

This is the first win and nomination for Gregory Ole.

Aftersun was the film in 2022 that came completely out of nowhere. when the film first premiered at the Cannes film festival buzz was so strong yet no future screenings were planned so it meant people like myself had to wait until the eventual cinema release to check out the film. Thankfully that time came before the end of 2022 and I got to experience this incredible film. In focusing on the film's cinematography it must be said the mixture of video camera footage and more regular film footage was an incredible choice and was blended so expertly together that I didn't care which type of filming was used as I knew both would be incredible to see the film through.

Gregory Ole the films DP really did some incredible work here making me care for every scene of the film especially the flashback scenes of the film where we see Sophie and her father on their holiday. The photography also was so reminiscent of holidays I spent in my youth so everything felt so honest and real which made me enjoy the photography even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment