Thursday, April 8, 2021

OUTSTANDING COSTUME DESIGN

Trayce Gigi Field for Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar

Alexandra Byrne for Emma.

Ann Roth for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Charlotte Walter for Misbehaviour

Nancy Steiner for Promising Young Woman


AND THE WINNER:


ALEXANDRA BYRNE FOR EMMA.

This is the first win and second nomination for Alexandra Byrne. She was previously nominated for Elizabeth (1998).

I was very confident that when I saw Emma. in the cinema (yes I did see some films in an actual cinema in 2020) over a year ago that the costuming work by Byrne would be in serious consideration for my favourite of the year in film. Byrnes work on Emma is all about the details from the intricate patterns of costumes to the genius use of colours. I was blown away when sitting in my seat and taking in Byrne's work. I have to say de Wilde the director only helps showcase the costuming as there are many close up shots that show character moves that just happen to be dressed by the wonderful costuming.

I like to think I can love contemporary costumes as much as I do period costuming and I have chosen more modern design in years past but when it came to the best work this year it was the work by Byrne I constantly found myself returning to.

No comments:

Post a Comment