Thursday, April 22, 2021

OUTSTANDING MALE ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Kingsley Ben-Adir as Malcolm X in “ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI”

Anthony Hopkins as Anthony in "THE FATHER"

Orion Lee as King-Lu in “FIRST COW”

Delroy Lindo as Paul in “DA 5 BLOODS”

Steven Yeun as Jacob Yi in "MINARI"


AND THE WINNER:


DELROY LINDO AS PAUL IN "DA 5 BLOODS"

This is the first win and nomination for Delroy Lindo. He wins for his performance as Paul in Da 5 Bloods.

Delroy Lindo is new to my film awards but for the past 5 years he has been often nominated and win for his excellent performance as Adrian Boseman on the great CBS All Access show The Good Fight. Anyway now that I've said that his work in Da 5 Blood since I first saw it in the summer of 2020 has clearly been one of the years best. He is explosive, confident and harrowing in his role. The above clip is the moment in the film where I was fully sold on his excellence. A monologue is obviously an easy moment to spotlight as an actors greatest acting moment but this one was so much more incredible then your usual written speech.

The words feel so real, they are brilliantly delivered and most of all they are completely from the mind of the actor Lindo. The fact these words came from him is an added note to his brilliance. It shows how lived in this role he was and why he is so great. When it comes to overlooked performances it's Delroy's that has me most upset. What didn't people see in his performance. It's so wonderful that I am shocked honestly how many choose not to spotlight him. I guess I can be hopeful that maybe he'll get more opportunities like this because now that Lindo has left TGF I no longer have a weekly Lindo experience to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment