Thursday, March 24, 2022

OUTSTANDING FEMALE ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

AND THE WINNER:


TESSA THOMPSON AS IRENE "REENIE" REDFIELD IN "PASSING"

This is the first win and second nomination for Tessa Thompson. She was previously nominated as part of the ensemble of Selma (2014).

During the decade of the 2010's Tessa Thompson has had such a varied career and while I've enjoyed her screen presence it wasn't until seeing Passing this past year where it all came together and I considered her to be giving a best of the year performance. It's clear that many have reacted so well to Negga based on her multiple awards mentions but for me you cannot have Passing be as great as it is without Thompson being just as captivating as Negga. 

Tessa sort've has a more difficult task playing Irene because most of what makes the character the way she is based off of what she doesn't say. I found her endlessly watchable throughout and while most of performance was built off her facial reactions I thought she was captivating in those silences. I hope that Thompson proving herself in such a difficult role leads to more roles like this for Thompson.

No comments:

Post a Comment